How to Find the Best Contractor for Your Home Improvement Project by Gillespie Handyman Services
It’s finally time to tackle that big home improvement project you’ve always wanted to do. Which leads to your first question – “Where do I start?”. The truth is some jobs are simply too big, too complicated, or require too much time to handle on your own. You’ll likely need an expert.
A contractor, can be your ‘knight in shining armor’ when it comes to completing your project. But, wait… you might encounter the wrong contractor that you’re starting to think if the Home projects will be done properly and professionally. But statistics show that the huge majority of contractors out there are honest, hard-working professionals. Most people are happy with the improvement project they undertake.
HERE ARE SOME STANDARD TIPS YOU CAN FOLLOW TO MAKE SURE YOUR HOME IMPROVEMENTS GO WELL:
• Business License? See if your contractor has a license to operate.
• Get Bids – if you have the luxury, get multiple bids from several contractors. Don’t always assume that the lowest bid is the best because that contractor may be desperate for work or might cut corners on the job. But if you get referred to a contractor from several sources, you could be able to make a great relationship, built on trust, so you can know what your getting before you start.
• Get it in Writing – the days of the “handshake deal” are behind us. Get a detailed contract together as a basis for great communication, and understanding on both sides
THE MORE YOU CLARIFY, THE FEWER HEADACHES YOU’LL HAVE IF THINGS GO WRONG.
• Do You Take a Check? Don’t ever pay in cash.
• Can you say, “Proof of payment”? I thought you could,
• Keep logs of all payments (for example – 25% down, 50% by the mid way point, and final payment when work is complete) and pay with check or credit card only.
For more information about hiring a contractor, please call the Gillespie Handyman Services or visit www.gillespiehandyman.com.
REGISTERED CONTRACTOR and HANDYMAN
RESIDENTIAL SERVICES – COMMERCIAL SERVICES