In today’s world, the most valuable asset owned by people is their home. And when considering any size home improvement project, protecting this investment should be a top priority. The first step in any remodeling or improvement project is to select the right contractor. Prudent homeowners will make their selection carefully and after thoughtful consideration. Is the contractor licensed, and is he have the experienced? If so, in what particular area is his expertise?
Sometimes it makes sense to hire a pro rather than take on a job yourself. But choosing the wrong contractor can lead to delays, subpar work, and even legal problems. These guidelines will help you choose a professional contractor and ensure a good working relationship.
How to find a Qualified Contractor:
One source for locating a qualified, experienced contractor is from other people who have had similar remodeling work done. When talking with contractors, request references and take the time to check them out.
Check with a service that keeps track records of various contractors. You can also use online resources for locating a qualified contractor in your area.
Hire only a contractor with strong referrals and high rankings. Depending on the type of project you are planning, you may need to deal with any of the following professional contractors.
Questions to ask Possible Candidates
Questions to ask before selecting a contractor for your home improvement might include:
– How long have you been contracting?
– What licenses and certifications do you carry?
– How many projects have you completed in the last year? what were they and who were they for?
– What references do you have? Will there be any subcontractors, and if so what are their credentials?
– What insurance coverage do you have?
– What permits are required for my project?
Be Thorough in Your Search
You might also want to check with the appropriate government office to see whether or not there are any unresolved complaints against the contractor before making your final selection.
Check out all references provided and ask questions such as:
– Was the project completed on time and were you happy with the results?
– How well did the contractor communicate with you throughout the project?
– Were there any cost over-runs?
– Also ask if the contractor employees were on time, courteous, and whether or not they cleaned up the home improvement site when they were finished?
Some residents have the opportunity to use the Internet to assist in the screening process. By following these guidelines, you help ensure a successful home improvement!
For more information about hiring a contractor, please call the Gillespie Handyman Services or visit www.gillespiehandyman.com.
RESIDENTIAL SERVICES – COMMERCIAL SERVICES